Do you need to transport a kayak, a bike, or some other large item but don’t have enough room in your car? If so, you may need to purchase a roof rack. Roof racks can be a fantastic investment for anyone who needs to transport items on a regular basis. However, you will have noticed that roof racks vary greatly. There are many different types of roof racks available on the market, and it can be difficult to determine which one is right for your vehicle. Don’t worry, we’re on your side!
What is a Roof Rack?
A roof rack is a specially designed piece of equipment that allows you to safely transport large items on the roof of your vehicle. Roof racks can be fitted to most types of vehicles, from small hatchbacks to larger vans and 4x4s. Typically, they are made from metal or plastic and feature bars or crossbars that attach to the roof of your vehicle, creating a platform on which you can safely secure items.
Types of Roof Rack
As time has gone on, roof racks have become more specialised and tailored to particular types of vehicles, activities, and loads. There are a few different types of roof rack that you should consider when making your choice.
The most common type is the bar-style roof rack, which consists of two metal bars or crossbars that run parallel to each other, along the length of your roof. These can be used to securely attach items such as bikes, kayaks, and luggage. What’s more, the setup can also be customised with additional attachments, such as ski and surfboard carriers.
Next, roof boxes are another popular choice. These are large, waterproof storage boxes that mount onto the roof bars and provide additional space for luggage and other items. Roof boxes come in a range of sizes, so you can find one that suits your needs. They also come with a variety of features and accessories, such as built-in lighting and keyed locks. In particular, these are useful for camping supplies.
Additionally, there are cargo baskets or trays. These mount onto the roof bars and provide an open platform for storing a variety of items. Some are designed to carry lighter or smaller items while others can be used to store larger, heavier items such as bikes, kayaks, ladders, and more. Cargo baskets are also handy for carrying odd-shaped items such as skis or surfboards.
Choosing a Roof Rack
Ultimately, it’s all about meeting your needs. When selecting a roof rack, consider the following:
- Your Vehicle– Your vehicle’s make and model will determine what kind of roof rack you need – you will find Ford Ranger roof racks and those designed for just about every other model. Naturally, you’ll want one that fits your vehicle perfectly.
- Your Needs– Think about the things you intend to carry and the weight of each item. It’s important to select a roof rack that can bear the total weight of all items you plan to carry in shape, design, and material.
- Specialty Items– If you’re planning to transport golf clubs, bikes, camping gear or other items that require a specialty carrier, make sure your roof rack is compatible.
- Design– Eye appeal is important for some people, but the primary concern should be safety and stability. Make sure the rack is made of high-quality materials and includes features such as anti-theft locks.
- Installation– Finally, make sure the roof rack you select is easy to install and can be securely attached to your vehicle. If the installation requires special tools or skills, it’s best to have a professional do it for you.